Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Way to go great granddad!

Living in PRC land has taught me lots. So said a professor of Peking U, "Because they are isolated from the motherland, and surrounded by foreign influence, Chinese immigrants tend to retain and uphold more Chinese culture and customs compared to their counterparts who remain in Chinaland". That day, the search for my Chinese identity came to an end. Although there are times when I wondered how different my life would be if my great grandfather had not made the decision to seek his fortune in Nanyang, I feel now a sense of security in my unique identity. As I indulge in Haagen Dazs ice-cream enroute my flight back from Beijing, I marvel at the courage of my great granddad and his peers, who braved rough seas and countless hours adrift, determined to reach the land of better opportunities.

No comments: